Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Animals stricken with the Plague

A frightful epidemic sent to earth by Heaven intent to vent its fury on a sinful world, to call by its right name, the pestilence. the Acheron-filling vial of of virulence had fallen on every animal. Not all were dead, but all lay near to dying, and none was any longer trying to find new fuel to feed life's flickering fires. No foods excited their desires; no more did wolves and foxes rove in search of harmless, helpless prey; and dove would not consort with dove, for love and joy had flown away. The Lion assumed the chair to say: "Dear friends, I doubt not it's for heaven's high ends that on us sinners woe must fall. Let him of us who's sinned the most fall victim to the avenging heavenly host, and may he win salvation for us all; for history teaches us that in these crises we must make sacrifices. Undeceived and stern-eyed, let's inspect our conscience. As I recollect, to put my greedy appetite to sleep, I've banqueted on many a sheep who'd injured me in no respect, and even in my time been known to try shepherd pie. If need be, then, I'll die. Yet I suspect that the others also ought to own their sins. It's only fair that all should do their best to single out the guiltiest." "Sire, you're too good a king, " the fox begins; "Such scruples are too delicate. My word, to eat sheep, that profane and vulgar herd, that's sin? Nay, Sire, enough for such a crew to be devoured by such as you; While of the shepherds we may say that they deserved the worst they got, theirs being the lot that over us beasts plot a flimsy dream-begotten sway." Thus spoke the Fox, and toady cheers rose high, while none dared cast too cold eye on Tiger's, Bear's and other eminences' most pardonable offenses. Then came the Ass to say: "I do recall how once I crossed an abbey-mead, where hunger, grass in plenty, and withal, I have no doubt, some imp of greed assailed me, and I shave a tongue's breadth wide where frankly I'd no right to any grass." All forthwith fell full cry upon the Ass: A Wolf of some book-learning testified that curst beast must suffer their despite, that gall skinned author of their piteous plight. They judge him fit for nothing but gallows-bait: How vile, another's grass to sequestrate! His death alone could expiate, a crime so heinous, as full well he learns. The court, as you're of great or poor estate, will paint you either white or black by turns.

Source: The best Fables of La Fontaine, Jean De La Fontaine, 1621-1695

1 comment:

  1. This work relates to what is happening now… It seems that Tigers share a 95.6 DNA match with house cats and animals like cattle I am no scientists I am just a guy who wears a mask to green grocers in Eddie Stanton old haunt ... but if Covid -19 can jump to Tigers it most likely can jump to cattle another primary food sources.
    The key take away is that it can jump species some folks have been making the case that African Swine Fever can jump a major problem in China since 2018 ASF has killed 50% of the hogs and pigs and where CoVID-19 began maybe this is some sort of hybrid…

    ReplyDelete